Monday, August 13, 2012

Food: Zucchini Fritters

A quick recipe for you, since I just made these for dinner and am all fat now from eating almost* the whole batch. Not having a picture is bad, I know I know, but believe me when I tell you this: Zucchini loves Basil. Forever. Now, on to cooking!

1 medium zucchini
1/2 medium onion
2 eggs
Some kind of Italian cheese (maybe a 1/4 cup?)
basil, black pepper, garlic powder
salt (not until the end!)

Shred both the veggies with your shredding device of choice onto a plate. (The biggest holes on the box please, we're not making applesauce out of veggies.) Get a bowl big enough for all your things. Pick up handfuls of your shredded veggies and SQUEEZE (pretty hard, hence the capslock). The goal is to  get as much water out as possible without bothering with that annoying salt-and-wait method that I hate. Drop your squeezed handfuls of goodness into the bowl until you're through all the vegetation. Discard the watery stuff... or drink it, I don't really care, just don't put it in the bowl. Crack two eggs into the bowl, beat them, then mix them into the veggies. It might look like they're barely coated in egg and that is what you want. Their job is to just hold the fritters together, not go making everything taste like eggs because no one wants that. Season with as much basil, garlic, and pepper as you deem reasonable. I like a lot of all those things. DO NOT ADD SALT YET. I mean it. Throw in some cheese- I used the dry shaker parm and some shredded asiago. Mix all the things. Heat some coconut oil in a frying pan to mediumish. Drop forkfuls of goodness into hot oil. Be careful and whatnot; it's hot oil. You may now salt the fritters if you so choose. Wait until they're brown on the bottom, flip them over, wait until the other side is brown too, remove to paper towel covered plate. Let cool enough that you don't burn your face off. Eat now. Thank me later.

Makes: About 12 small fritters.

*By the time I hit publish, I had eaten the last two.

2 comments:

  1. I want an entire recipe book of recipes with this level of snarkiness. Get on that. :)

    ReplyDelete