Friday, September 27, 2013

SOTD: Pumpkin Pie

It's time for Smoothie of the Day! Do I even need to explain this one to you? It's fall. Obviously I'm hitting the pumpkin pretty hard already. Here's some proof:

First attempt at a Pumpkin Pie Smoothie.
That's the one I made yesterday. It was pretty good, but not quite good enough. So I made some changes this morning, and that's the recipe we're going to run with. Freezing the banana is always better, and the canned coconut milk adds some nice texture too. I'm not going to say it tastes just like pumpkin pie, because I don't generally drink pie. But it's pretty good and if you're like me and fall = PUMPKIN ALL THE THINGS, then it's probably worth your time. Obviously it's not as sweet since we're trying to be all healthy and crap, but you could always add some honey if you like. Or adding vanilla ice cream would probably turn this into a pretty great milkshake.

Take two, now with more ingredients!

Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (paleo, vegan)
(I didn't do much measuring other than the spices, so the amounts are -ish.)

1/2 c. pumpkin purée
2 T. canned coconut milk
1 T. almond butter (mine is maple/almond)
1 frozen banana
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. ground ginger
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 - 1 c. of your smoothie-thinner of choice (I used boxed coconut milk.)

Put everything into your blending device. The amount of smoothie-thinner is up to you. I maybe ended up using 1/2-3/4 of a cup. You can always add more if needed. All the other ingredients are pretty thick though, so might use more, especially if you prefer you smoothies thinner than I do. Blend away, captain. I also added a couple big chunks of ice to mine afterwards to keep it cold on my way to work. And I am slurping it as we speak.

Let me know in the comments if you try it! I'm also considering adding espresso powder or using cold coffee as thinner next time to PSL this business. I don't know how that will work with the banana, but we'll find out. Happy fall to you!

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! PSL the heck out of it and let us know!

    ReplyDelete